Ian McKellen Net Worth
- Net Worth: $55 Million
- Profession: Actor
- Nationality: British
- Birth Place: Burnley, Lancashire, England
- Date of Birth: 25 May 1939
- Height: 5 feet 11 inches (1.8 meters)
- Father: Dennis Murray McKellen
- Mother: Margery Lois Sutcliffe
- Siblings: 1 Sister (Jean McKellen)
Ian McKellen was born on 25th May 1939 in Lancashire, England. His father Denis Murray McKellen, was a civil engineer. And his mother Margery Lois was a housewife. Ian McKellen started his acting career from the Belgrade Theater. He appeared in a number of theater plays before appearing in a film. His first film role was in 1969 film, A Touch of Love. His first leading role in a film was in Priest of Love, a 1980 film. Ian McKellen has played a number of iconic roles in different movies. Some of the most popular movie roles that have resulted in huge Ian McKellen net worth include the role of Gandalf, in The Lord of The Rings Movies and The Hobbit movies, the role of Magneto in X-Men series of movies, and the role of Sir Leigh Teabing in The Da Vinci Code.
What is Ian McKellen Net Worth?
The total net worth of Ian McKellen is $55 million. The veteran actor has accumulated this huge net worth by acting in a number of renowned Hollywood movies. He has also performed on television and on the stage.
Ian McKellen is an amazing actor who has received a number of awards and honors throughout his career. He was knighted by the Queen of England for his various contributions in the field of arts. Sir Ian McKellen has been nominated for the BAFTA awards five times and for the Academy Awards twice in his career.
Ian McKellen Movies
Very few Hollywood actors have had a career as successful as Ian McKellen. As you would expect for a top class movie star, the main contributor towards Ian McKellen net worth has been his successful movie roles. Here are the top 10 highest grossing movies of Ian McKellen’s career:
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – Without any doubt, the most iconic role that Ian McKellen has had in any of his movies has been the role of Gandalf, in The Lord of the rings trilogy. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King remains the highest grossing film of Ian McKellen’s career. the movie had total earnings of $377,845,905.
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers – The movie was released in the year 2002. Like other movies of the Lord of the Rings series, it was also a huge hit with total revenues of $342,551,365.
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring – The movie was released in the year 2001 and it had total gross revenues of $315,544,750.
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – The movie was released in the year 2013 and it had total lifetime earnings of $303,003,568.
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – This movie was released in the year 2013 and with total earnings of $258,366,855, it was a major hit of the year.
- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies –
- X-Men: The Last Stand – X-Men series of movies have played a major role in the success of Ian McKellen as a leading Hollywood star. This movie came out in the year 2006 and it made $234,362,462 during its time on the box office.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past – The movie was released in the year 2014 and it had total earnings of $233,921,534.
- The Da Vinci Code – This is another successful movie of the Ian McKellen’s career. It was released in 2006 and had total revenues of $217,536,138 from theaters.
- X2: X-Men United – The movie was released in the year 2003. It made $214,949,694 during its time on the box office.
Other then these high grossing movies Ian Mckellen has had a number of other highly successful movies as well. These include The Shadow, Mr. Holmes, Scandal, Apt Pupil, Six Degrees of Separation, and The Golden Compass.
Ian McKellen Salary
Ian McKellen has played some iconic roles during his movie career and these have lead to the massive Ian McKellen net worth that we see today. The actor receives very handsome salaries for his roles in different movies. According to reports he received a salary of £4 Million for his role in the 2001 movie, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. He played the role of Gandalf in the movie. In 2002 he got a salary of £5 Million for his role in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.
Ian McKellen Endorsement Deals
Being one of the top Hollywood actors, Ian McKellen has been seen endorsing a number of brands throughout his career. He has appeared in a number of television advertisements. Even in his 70s he has been scoring high profile television advertisements from world renowned brands. He recently appeared in a Dior advertisement alongside Marion Cotillard. He has also endorsed Lego.
Ian McKellen Lifestyle
Ian McKellen lives in London, United Kingdom. He is an atheist. The actor is a homosexual and is a prominent gay rights activist. He came out as a homosexual in 1988 in a program in the BBC Radio.
Ian McKellen House
Ian McKellen lives in London which is the capital of England and one of the most expensive cities in the world. People who have been to the house of this veteran Hollywood actor tell that he has kept a lot of memorabilia from his different Hollywood movies. In fact, the actor has kept a thing or two from each one of his movies. Like he has the sword from his Gandalf roles in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Ian McKellen can afford to buy any car today, but due to his age and health reasons the actor does not have many cars and the Ian McKellen cars list is quite small.
Ian McKellen Net Worth Compared to Other Hollywood Actors
When we compare the Ian McKellen net worth with that of other renowned Hollywood actors, we find that there are many actors who have a higher net worth than him. These actors include Jack Nicholson, Hugh Jackman, Edward Norton, Russell Crowe, Bruce Willis, Christian Bale, Al Pacino, and Kevin Spacey. However, Ian McKellen net worth is higher than that of Nicolas Cage.