Lionel Messi who is considered by many as the greatest footballer of all time, was born on 25 June 1987 in Rosario, Argentina. Lionel Messi’s father, Jorge Messi was a steel factor manager and Messi’s mother, Celia Cuccittini worked in a workshop that manufactured magnets. His family loved football and watched the sport passionately. As a result Lionel Messi developed great passion for football and started playing with his elder brothers Matias and Rodrigo, and his cousins Emanuel and Maximilano. Later his cousins went on to become professional footballers as well. Messi was only four years old when he joined the local football club Grandoli. Messi joined Newell’s Old Boys club when he was 6 years old. When Messi was 10 years old he was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency.
Lionel Messi’s family could not afford the treatment for the disease. His club Newell’s Old Boys could not afford that treatment either. In fact, Lionel Messi was scouted by the famous Argentine football club, River Plate, but they could not pay for his treatment either. It was at that time that Lionel Messi went for trials with Barcelona FC and the club not only immediately signed him but also agreed to pay for his treatment. Lionel Messi played for the youth teams of Barcelona before joining the professional team.
Before we take an in-depth look at Lionel Messi net worth, it would be worth it to take a look at the career of Lionel Messi and what he has achieved. Lionel Messi has played his professional football for Barcelona FC during his entire professional career. Messi is the only football player in the history to be declared the best player of the world 5 times. He has won the FIFA, Ballon dÓr award five times. In addition, he has won many other awards as well including 3 European Golden Shoes awards. Messi has won numerous trophies with his club Barcelona FC, including multiple La Liga titles, Champions League trophies, and Copa del Rey trophies. Here are the details of Lionel Messi net worth.
Table of Contents
What is Lionel Messi Net Worth?
Being the best player in the most played and followed sport of the world surely has a lot of perks and privileges. In 2016, the yearly income of Lionel Messi was a huge $70 million.
Most of this income was a result of his superb salary at Barcelona FC and his huge brand endorsement deals with various top brands in the world.Lionel Messi has a total net worth of $350 Million. This incredible net worth makes him one of the richest players on the planet. The major contributing factors to this incredible net worth are his massive salary’s at Barcelona FC and his lucrative brand endorsement deals.
What is Lionel Messi Salary?
A major factor in the incredible Lionel Messi net worth is his huge salary at Barcelona FC. Here are the details of Lionel Messi salary and his club contracts over the years:
- February 2004 – Lionel Messi signed his first contract with Barcelona in February 2004. It was a youth contract and according to details of the contract, Lionel Messi was to be paid a weekly salary of €1500. However, his salary was increased to €10,000 a week after he played for the first team of Barcelona FC in a friendly match.
- June 2005 – When Messi turned 18, he signed a financially improved contract with the club for a period of 5 years. It was the first contract of Lionel Messi as a first team player of Barcelona FC. According to this contract he was paid a weekly salary of €25,000 and this accounted to €1.2 Million per year. This contract made Lionel Messi the highest paid teenage player in football.
- September 2005 – Lionel Messi performed so well that in order to retain him, Barcelona FC had to give him a new contract only after 3 months of the previous contract. And according to the details of this new deal, he was paid a salary of €50,000 per week. This amounted to €2.4 million per year.
- March 2007 – Lionel Messi continued to prove his worth and continued to perform extremely well on the field. This forced his club to give him even better salary and in March 2007, Barcelona FC signed another contract with Lionel Messi. And this time his salary was doubled to €100,000 per week, amounting to a huge €4.8 million per year.
- July 2008 – In July 2008, Lionel Messi signed another contract with Barcelona FC. And this time his salary was increased to €162,000 a week. This took his total yearly salary to €7.8 million.
- September 2009 – The incredible run of Lionel Messi as a professional footballer continued and in 2009 his salary was increased to €250,000 a week. The yearly salary of the legendary footballer was €12 million at that time.
- February 2013 – In 2013, Barcelona FC gave him another contract extension and this time increased his salary a little bit. The new salary of Lionel Messi was €270,000 per week. And his yearly salary was €13 million.
- May 2014 – In the May of 2014, Barcelona FC realised that the then salary of Lionel Messi was not enough to keep this incredible player at the club. So they gave him a whole new contract with an extremely lucrative salary of €400,000 per week after tax. Now the total salary of Lionel Messi became €20 Million per year.
So if you are a football manager and looking to have the best player in your club, this is how much you have to pay.
What is Lionel Missi Endorsements?
Messi has a number of endorsement deals with major brands like Pepsi, Dolce & Gabbana, Air Europa, and Adidas. According to reports, he earns $8 million from his brand endorsement deals with Pepsi, Dolce & Gabbana, and Air Europa. Lionel Messi Endorsement deal with Real Madrid pays him $20 million annually. The player has a 7 year contract worth $140 million with Adidas. Messi is currently the highest paid brand ambassador for Adidas.
Lionel Messi Family
Lionel Messi is a family man. He likes to spend time with his family. The Barcelona super star got married to Antonella Roccuzzo in 2008. The two have been happily married and have two sons named Thiago Messi and Mateo Messi. Because of his football engagements, the player spends most of his time in Spain. However, he gets to travel to his home country, Argentina quite frequently.
Lionel Messi House
Lionel Messi owns a number of properties around the world. He owns a luxurious mansion in his home town Rosario in Argentina. The Barcelona super star also a luxurious mansion in Barcelona. Unlike most of other footballers, Lionel Messi is someone who really loves football and has the beautiful game included in all departments of his life. And that is why the Argentine super star has built a house that looks like football in Barcelona.
The house has a unique architecture. The building of the beautiful house is round and looks like a football. The ground around the structure of the house looks like a typical football pitch divided into two halves.
Lionel Messi Cars
Lionel Messi net worth has allowed the football super star to buy some of the best cars in the world. The most expensive car that Messi bought is the Maserati GranTurismo MC Stadale. The price of this car is a huge $181,183 Here is the list of Lionel Messi cars along with their prices:
- Ferrari F430 Spider – $117,900
- Maserati Gran Turismo MC Stadale – $181,183
- Maserati Gran Turismo S – $126,500
- Lexus 4×4 – $73,292
- Dodge Charger SRT8 – $43,445
- Audi R8 Spyder $114,900
- Audi Q7 – $47,400
Lionel Messi Net worth Compared with Other Athletes
The Lionel Messi Net Worth is one of the highest among the top class world athletes. There are very few athletes in the world who have a higher net worth than Lionel Messi. Cristiano Ronaldo is one such athlete who has a higher net worth than Lionel Messi. However, Lionel Messi net worth is greater than most of other athletes including James Rodriguez, Carson Palmer, Roman Reigns, Lebron James, Samuel Eto and Novak Djokovic.
The Argentine super star has still many years of football in front of him and with his amazing talent, abilities, and experience it is likely that he will continue to play well and continue to break more records. As a consequence we can expect the Lionel Messi net worth to grow further in coming years. In fact, Messi has a great chance of becoming a billionaire during his football career.